Preheat oven to 350 F
Bakes in 10 – 15 minutes
Tastes Great with: The Wolves (Act I and II), by Bon Iver from the debut album For Emma, Forever Ago
* 4-5 cups cooked whole wheat pasta
* 3 cups sharp cheddar, grated
* 1 ½ cups milk
* 2 tsp flour (or as needed)
* 2 tsp salt
* 2 tsp butter
* ½ cup sour cream
* 1 can biscuits, cut into halves
* Pepper to taste
- Cook pasta until nearly done. If you are using whole wheat pasta it will take a little longer to cook than with regular pasta.
- While pasta cooks, heat butter in a sauce pan. Add milk, salt, pepper, 2 cups of the cheddar cheese (setting one cup aside for later use), and sour cream and stir until cheese is melted and you have a creamy sauce. If the sauce is too watery add dashed of flour until it becomes the right consistency.
- Once pasta is cooked pour it into a casserole dish. Pour the cheese sauce on top of the pasta and mix with a fork. Sprinkle pepper to taste.
- Toss all but a few teaspoons of the remaining cheddar on the top of the pasta/cheese sauce mixture.
- Top your kick ass mac-n-cheese with the biscuit halves, making a crust. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake until the tops of biscuits are brown.
NOTE: If you pull the casserole out too soon your biscuits will be doughy on the mac-n-cheese side. If you’re not into dumplings then bake it a little longer.