This recipe is taken from the deep (deep, deep, deep…) southern trailer park my family hails from. It is definitely a redneck dish, but has a special place in my heart (literally and figuratively) because of its history in my family. Use this recipe at your own risk!***Disclaimer: There is absolutely nothing in this dish that is remotely good for you. Still, it’s great for potlucks or if you have a death wish involving clogged arteries.
Preheat oven to 350F
Bakes in 10 – 15 minutes
*2 cups cooked pasta or rice (or a mix of both, if you’d like)
* ½ tsp garlic
* ½ tsp horseradish
* 1 ½ cans cream of mushroom or cheese soup (canned cheese soup exists, trust me)
* 1 package tater tots (or other potato finger food/ hasbrowns)
* Pepper to taste
*4 cups of cheese (divided into two cup portions)
- Bake tots in oven until crisp.
- While tots bake, cook rice (or pasta or both).
- In pasta pan stir in garlic, horseradish, canned soup (either cream of mushroom or cheese soup), 2 cups of cheese, and pepper to taste.
- Line casserole dish with layer of tots, pour a portion of the pasta/rice mixture on top and top that with cheese.
- Repeat layering by making another layer of tots followed by a layer of rice/pasta and then cheese.
- Top with tots as a “crust” and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted, 350F for 10 - 15